Friday, March 30, 2012

Saving User's Report Parameters

(Reposting, reworded)
I am writing a C# Web application with a web form that displays a report
using URL access method. The URL displays the report for the user, and then
they can pick their parameters and run the report.
I want to know: how can I display the report to the user the next time with
all of the same parameters that they chose? I don't want a snapshot, I want
to refresh the data for the same parameters the user chose.
Do I need to use form post method? or SOAP? Or is there a way to do this
with URL access.
The problem is that when the user changes the value of a parameter, the URL
does not change, so I cannot access that information from my C# Web
application.
MalikFor the level of control you want you need to use web services (soap). You
can definitely get the information you want with that. The URL access will
not provide what you want.
Bruce L-C
"Abdul Malik Said" <diplacusis@.hotmNOSPAMail.com> wrote in message
news:%23OdayAThEHA.3612@.TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> (Reposting, reworded)
> I am writing a C# Web application with a web form that displays a report
> using URL access method. The URL displays the report for the user, and
then
> they can pick their parameters and run the report.
> I want to know: how can I display the report to the user the next time
with
> all of the same parameters that they chose? I don't want a snapshot, I
want
> to refresh the data for the same parameters the user chose.
> Do I need to use form post method? or SOAP? Or is there a way to do this
> with URL access.
> The problem is that when the user changes the value of a parameter, the
URL
> does not change, so I cannot access that information from my C# Web
> application.
> Malik
>|||While there's no easy way to do this, it is possible by making the parameter default populate their
values from a database table which looks up the last parameter values used by that user (or a
default if no row exists). You would then also need a set of queries which stored the current
parameter values in the database when the report is run.
--
Thanks.
Donovan R. Smith
Software Test Lead
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
"Bruce Loehle-Conger" <bruce_lcNOSPAM@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:e7sShOThEHA.3148@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> For the level of control you want you need to use web services (soap). You
> can definitely get the information you want with that. The URL access will
> not provide what you want.
> Bruce L-C
> "Abdul Malik Said" <diplacusis@.hotmNOSPAMail.com> wrote in message
> news:%23OdayAThEHA.3612@.TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > (Reposting, reworded)
> >
> > I am writing a C# Web application with a web form that displays a report
> > using URL access method. The URL displays the report for the user, and
> then
> > they can pick their parameters and run the report.
> >
> > I want to know: how can I display the report to the user the next time
> with
> > all of the same parameters that they chose? I don't want a snapshot, I
> want
> > to refresh the data for the same parameters the user chose.
> >
> > Do I need to use form post method? or SOAP? Or is there a way to do this
> > with URL access.
> >
> > The problem is that when the user changes the value of a parameter, the
> URL
> > does not change, so I cannot access that information from my C# Web
> > application.
> >
> > Malik
> >
> >
>|||Thank you very much for both of your responses.
I did assume that I would have to store parameter values in my own database
table to be able to save report parameters, so that is not really a problem.
In fact, my application already has a table to store parameters, I just have
to define a new parameter type, then put parameter names and values in the
existing table.
But I wouldn't get anywhere without SOAP. My gap in knowledge here was how
to do SOAP integration. I am now hurriedly learning how to do this, but it
doesn't seem overly complicated. It seems like there is a reporting services
object model, and I can somehow get the current parameter values from an
object, so I am content to keep hitting the books until the solution comes
together.
Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.
Malik
"Donovan R. Smith [MSFT]" <donovans@.online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:eKhQrFUhEHA.2624@.TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> While there's no easy way to do this, it is possible by making the
parameter default populate their
> values from a database table which looks up the last parameter values used
by that user (or a
> default if no row exists). You would then also need a set of queries
which stored the current
> parameter values in the database when the report is run.
> --
> Thanks.
> Donovan R. Smith
> Software Test Lead
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.
> "Bruce Loehle-Conger" <bruce_lcNOSPAM@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:e7sShOThEHA.3148@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > For the level of control you want you need to use web services (soap).
You
> > can definitely get the information you want with that. The URL access
will
> > not provide what you want.
> >
> > Bruce L-C
> >
> > "Abdul Malik Said" <diplacusis@.hotmNOSPAMail.com> wrote in message
> > news:%23OdayAThEHA.3612@.TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > > (Reposting, reworded)
> > >
> > > I am writing a C# Web application with a web form that displays a
report
> > > using URL access method. The URL displays the report for the user, and
> > then
> > > they can pick their parameters and run the report.
> > >
> > > I want to know: how can I display the report to the user the next time
> > with
> > > all of the same parameters that they chose? I don't want a snapshot, I
> > want
> > > to refresh the data for the same parameters the user chose.
> > >
> > > Do I need to use form post method? or SOAP? Or is there a way to do
this
> > > with URL access.
> > >
> > > The problem is that when the user changes the value of a parameter,
the
> > URL
> > > does not change, so I cannot access that information from my C# Web
> > > application.
> > >
> > > Malik
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>sql

No comments:

Post a Comment