Monday, March 26, 2012

Saving japanese characters Into SQL 2K through ASP

Hi All,
I am building an application with ASP pages and SQL 2K and running into problem when i save the japanese characters using ASP -> ODBC-> SQL 2K

We get the translated data into japanese in excel spreadsheets which i upload to the SQL DB tables. In enterprise mgr this can be seen fine (since i do have japanese font installed on my client machine)
When I pull this data onto ASP pages, I use
Codepage : 932
CharSet : shit_jis

It shows up fine, but I have an admin interface where users can change this data and save it back to the database. This is where I run into problem.
The data shows up in japanese (pulled from SQL 2K db) into the textboxes on asp page but when I save the same back to the DB, it saves it as ?????

Can Someone PLEASE tell me where am i going wrong or what setting am i missing?... thanks a ton,Hi All,
I am really stuck with this problem... Can someone help me out please
thanks|||Can you tell if it's the webserver or the database that change all the japanese letters? SQL-server uses different collations that are specified during setup, and this can also be modified when you create a new database. I have not been able to find how you can modify the collation for an existing databasem but this will at least get you started...

In Enterprise Manager try to create a new database, and in the window that pops up under the general-tab you can on the bottom choose which collation should be the default setting for the databse. You will find quite a few japanese models ther...and if you look up "LCID" i Books Online and locate "See also: Windows Collation Sorting Styles" you will find explanations of the different extensions like "Japanese_Unicode_CS_AI_WS"

No comments:

Post a Comment